Vegetarians and veggie lovers, get ready! This is a winner. (Even my carnivore husband requests this one.) These burgers are smokey, flavorful, and have a “meaty” texture. Bonus? They’re totally freezer-friendly for a busy person. Just freeze them individually and reheat in the microwave and you’re golden.
Let’s get to it. The beans are the star here. I use two 15.5 oz cans of organic black beans, rinsed, and smashed with a potato masher or fork. I’ve tried using a food processor and found that these burgers work better if you only partially mash them rather than turn them into a paste. Keep the integrity of some of the beans for texture. This is a great job for the kid in your life.
Next, add the onions, celery, peppers, breadcrumbs, eggs, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, ground mustard, chili powder, salt, and pepper. These spices make the mixture so flavorful! Bonus? Cumin and turmeric are anti-inflammatory and great for the body! Mix them all by hand and once it’s all incorporated, get to work making the burgers. Form them by hand about the size and shape of a tennis ball and flatten between your palms to about 1/2 inch thick.
Brown the burgers in a skillet on medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil coating the bottom of the pan for about 6 minutes per side or until browned and crispy.
For the sauce, combine plain greek yogurt with lime juice, a pinch of chili powder, and a pinch of salt. It’s the perfect tang for the burgers and you can dial up the heat by adding more chili powder (or even siracha) to suit your taste.
Serve the burgers on the bun of your choice and top with a dollop of the sauce. I chose a multigrain bun but pretzel buns are great with these if you can find them! With a side of sweet potato fries or the vegetable of your choice, you have a wholesome and delicious meatless meal!
Tried them? Pin it, tag me, and let me know what you think!
Black Bean Burgers
A meatless, family-friendly dinner.
For the Burgers:
- 2 cans of black beans (15.5 oz cans), rinsed
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 3 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch chili powder
- In a large bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher or a fork. Some beans should remain intact but the majority should be mashed.
- Add the breadcrumbs, onion, peppers, celery, eggs, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, ground mustard, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Combine all ingredients by hand.
- Form into patties by rolling mixture into balls about the size if a tennis ball. Flatten them between your palms to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cook burgers in a skillet coated in olive oil over medium-high heat until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes per side. Add more olive oil as needed to crisp the burgers.